Skocz do zawartości

Zarchiwizowany

Ten temat jest archiwizowany i nie można dodawać nowych odpowiedzi.

Gość Qn`ik

Only English :)

Polecane posty

I haven't been writing in this topic for ages. I just don't understand why almost everyone here is trying to prove others that he is "the best in English" (despite the fact that I'm "the best of the best" ;) ). I also don't understand people who can't understand why do we write here in English. You just don't have to visit this topic if you don't like English.

OK, but now heading to the point. I wrote once about film translations into Polish. And I want to write about it again, but this time it has nothing to do with no-cursing-when-they-are-cursing-translations.

I mean recently I've seen X-man (you know that Hollywood bullshit production based on comics about good-and-bad-mutants-fighting-each-other). And I just couldn't believe my own bloody ears when I heard how did they translate wolverine as if it was ordinary wolf. As far as I am concerned wolverine (except that it surely isn't wolf) means "rosomak". Yeah, yeah I know "rosomak" sounds stupid, "wilk" sounds much better, but it's still not the same. Honestly if I had been translating this movie I would have left original name.

Tell me about messed up translations :P I read a book on Warcraft the other day. Unfortunately, I had to read it in Polish. Then, after seeing what the translator did, I decided that either I read it in English or I don't read it at all. First, he had a favourite construction that he used throughout the book. I wouldn't really exaggerate if I said you could find instances of it on every single page. But worst of all was the translation of names. God, the idea itself is deprived of reason. I mean, can you imagine how it feels to read about "Grom Piekielny Krzyk"? It's Grom Hellscream, for heaven's sake! Or "Skrzydła Śmierci" instead of "Deathwing"... Who pays those people for such a desultory work??

Well, as far as literally translating the names goes, you can't blame them. Granted, the names don't quite sound as fancy in Polish as they do in English, but still...

Here's a better one, though... Which translator in all the bloody Nine Hells thought that "gibberish" was an actual language? "Gibberyjski"... for fur's sake, did someone let miss Beger do the translating or something?

Then of course there's the matter of the translations causing delays in release of certain things. Such as that uncertainty surrounding Dark Crusade... or for example the Gaunt's Ghosts series of books. They've only recently finished the THIRD one, when there's... what, ten or so out over in the UK?

I like American English( Guess why. I'll give ya a clue: it starts with S and ends with s, it is a game about gangsta, man. Real black nigga', my runnin' dog :D) But British English is also cool. And if i didn't know English I wouldn't been able to play many games with satisfaction.

I like American English( Guess why. I'll give ya a clue: it starts with S and ends with s, it is a game about gangsta, man. Real black nigga', my runnin' dog :D) But British English is also cool. And if i didn't know English I wouldn't been able to play many games with satisfaction.

Is it San Andreas? Am I right, Czajnik?

You should call him 'Kettle' here, as far as I am concerned ;] - CRD

EDIT: Maybe you're right, Cardinal... (Moderator is always right, right? ;] )

Maybe I should, but I don't think it's nice to translate nicks, names etc. :/

But ok... You're the boss here. :)

And if i didn't know English I wouldn't been able to play many games with satisfaction.

You're right! eg: World of Warcraft. My friend played it and he said, that is stupid. He don't know English.

added: 07.11.2006, 16:50

What do you think about prices, we need to pay for games in Poland? Aren't them to high?

When I'm lookin' at the prizes on the West and comparing 'em with ours I see much advantage on our site.

True, but you mustn't forget about another difference between us and "the West" - average wages. So what if their games are twice as expensive a ours, if they earn about 70% more than we do...?

Yeah Solaris, you're right. So maybe someday they will be comin' to our beautiful country to buy themselves cheap games, patch it up back to their language and be happy.

PS. Damn people what's with ya?? Why you aren't addin' anything to this topic, eh?? Come on eses, let's make a conversation.

Yeah Solaris, you're right. So maybe someday they will be comin' to our beautiful country to buy themselves cheap games, patch it up back to their language and be happy.

PS. Damn people what's with ya?? Why you aren't addin' anything to this topic, eh?? Come on eses, let's make a conversation.

So hit us with any interesting topic mate 8)

But how much people are using english translator? Tell a true, please

Online translator?? What the hell is that??!! :D If it is that stupid thing to translate whole english sentences I agree with mj. This is just suck assed. I wonder hom many illogical word consturctions are born from such a translator :D

So hit us with any interesting topic mate

How 'bout translating, eh?? I think it's a good way to start a new topic. So first question has been asked by viteq. I answer it - I'm not usin' any translators. And u??

Translators? Nooo, there are no good online translators. For good one u must pay a lot of money. Whole new ball game is dictionary. I have couple and I use them as often as not. IMO the best dictionaries are from OXFORD print. I like one online dictionary too - edict.pl

Yeah, holmes. But, ese, if ya don't have a connection to Internet you're left with an ordinary dictionary which is also very helpful. Espacially those English-English stuff. Ya know what I mean, english word and its definition in english also. This is very good when you already know a lil' somethin' somethin' 'bout English and you want to learn more. Just checkin' the words gives you sometimes new knowledge.

• Kto przegląda   0 użytkowników

• Brak zalogowanych użytkowników przeglądających tę stronę.

• Utwórz nowe...