Skocz do zawartości

Zarchiwizowany

Ten temat jest archiwizowany i nie można dodawać nowych odpowiedzi.

Gość Qn`ik

Only English :)

Polecane posty

No, really, I'd be grateful if you papraphrased it for me...

Ok... Here it goes... "30 days in the Samarkand Desert with the Duchess of Kent" or "Ethel the Aardver goes Quantity Surveying" 8) To be quite serious - that was no sentence, just a tag of sorts meaning "the unknown part of Qbuś's adventures with English" :wink:

I mean, 15 girls observing your every move, examining what you do and telling you off if you act not quite like a gentlman... Gross. I'm sick of it :P

Well, uhm... I just hope you are not serious. I got used to that quite quickly or maybe I didn't care much because I have a great group. At first it was strange but I didn't notice the stares - maybe it's because of me being highly unconspicous 8) I blend in perfectly. The only thing that annoys me at times is the linguistic unification of my person to the rest of the groups. The '-łyśmy' forms when talking about me too are commonplace.

"the unknown part of Qbuś's adventures with English" :wink:

Ah, now I get it.

Well, uhm... I just hope you are not serious.

It's not that I'm complaining, but it's not a joke either. At times I find it annoying, but all in all, I cannot say that I am unhappy :D

By the way - it's INconspicuous, not 'un-'.

Greetings ;)

Just one simple question, cause I rather don't get it - what's the point of this thread? I thought I could find the answer at the beginning of the thread - but I couldn't find any..let's say explanation for running this thread. As I see, people can talk here about everything.. and nothing. If someone wants to practise that almost international language I think it's better idea to:

post in american/english (or english-speaking countries) forums, speak with a normal american (not, for example a WoW-player :D), have a lesson with a native speaker :)

Of course, I understand that in the Off-topic area there are some threads like that one (where you can talk about everything like I said) but if somebody could answer my question I would be pleased.

Correcting my grammar mistakes (and other mistakes as well) is welcome :)

Oh come on, do you really have to do everything for a REASON? :P I, for one, am addicted to this language and like the idea of this thread. It's always nice to discuss (and thus - practice) issues with people I - more or less - know in a language I adore ;) Apart from that, it's a good way not to let your English die due to idleness, unless you have other possibilities to practice it.

I wonder... Is this post comprehensible? I can't concentrate...

John the Musician: Besides... when you're posting on elglish/american forum they ussualy get you down for grammar mistakes (and i'm sure that every Polishman will do some mistakes [and americans are very malicious - my trip to Chicago have shown it to me :?])

speak with someone in WoW?? oh geez... ussualy the dialog looks that:

-Hi

-Hi

-whats your lvl??

-um... 46

-mine 60

So... where else we can learn english (apart from school)?? Well... here :)

Ps. Grammar mistakes possible - i were much better in vocabulary than grammar :)

You know... i learned english by watching cartoons on "cartoon network" few years ago (6-7? :D ) it was transmitted in english and me, a small boy with a brain that was draining information from everywhere like a sponge, started to understand what are they talking about :) Now... how did YOU learn English ? (started learning).

Me?? in school of course :D im learning english from 7 years and i have got very good marks (apart from grammar :P). But I must say that i learned many words (especially in human anatomy) by playing Championship Manager :D:D:D

By the way - it's INconspicuous, not 'un-'.

Ahhh, damn. One of my favourite words in English and I've made a mistake. Hang me :?

It's not that I'm complaining, but it's not a joke either. At times I find it annoying, but all in all, I cannot say that I am unhappy

Well, that's a load of my heart - I was close to thinking that something took over our dear Sol and was toying with his mind :wink:

...but if somebody could answer my question I would be pleased.

About the mysteries of life asking you are. Dwell upon this acursed ground not. Questions some ment not are to be anwsered. Of strange syntax master call you can me now 8)

Now... how did YOU learn English ? (started learning).

The very beginings were no connected with TV but those were the times that there was no cable TV in Poland. It was a book called ABC English - with Superkid and suuuper songs ("One potato, two potato...", "Puffer train, puffer train..." ). Later I switched a bit to TV - first Sky One and then CN.

Good to see topic alive again, I think I missed it :)

I agree that we can write about everything- it's practising and who cares for what reason we do it? Some people only want to impress others with their perfect grama or vocabulary, so why don't do it here? :)

I have one question- does anyone know when we use "entire" and when "whole"?

I think, that I know :) But I've no idea about "entire". I heared few times about "whole". And that was sentence: "I've been learning english my whole life". In that sentence "whole" meant "all" for me :) I'm not sure but it is possible. [i am sorry for my mistakes, but I'm a very young man :)]

I heard version (for example of course ;P) "Entire planet" and "Whole planet" and i didnt' found any diffrences... so i guess it's just two words of the same meaning... (i can be wrong i'm not english teacher or something like this)

I think these two words are only regulated by the sentences meaning. Well, it doesn't sond so good anymore when you say "I was learning English my entire life". By myself I would say we use "entire" for objects, not for people or situations. Anyway both of them mean the same thing, but "entire" doesn't sound so common so you can show how good in English are you, only by using this one word ;) Dang, I don't know what I'm writing by myself :P

Maybe i'm wrong but i think Teneniel Djo (sorry if its mistake in your nick :P) taked those words from Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic?? Because there were those words (like "destroy the Entire planet" by Malak), and as everybody knows Teneniel (sorry again if i'm wrong :P) is KotOR fan :)

Maybe i'm wrong but i think Teneniel Djo (sorry if its mistake in your nick :P) taked those words from Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic?? Because there were those words (like "destroy the Entire planet" by Malak), and as everybody knows Teneniel (sorry again if i'm wrong :P) is KotOR fan :)

Nah, those are very frequent words in English.

As far as I am concerned, they are - as adjectives - basically the same when it comes to their meaning and use in a sentence. Yet, there is one aspect that distinguishes them.

Consider the example:

I've got a whole heap of work to do this afternoon.

In this case, "entire" could not be used, could it? That's because it's sort of a figure of speech, a metaphor.

Besides, there is the other, quite obvious difference - "whole" can be either a noun or an adjective (depending on the context), whereas "entire" is solely the adjective (the noun would be "entirety").

Apart from that, I believe they can be used interchangeably.

I hope I was of some help, at least.

Good night and good duck...err...luck.

Sol is - as far as I am concerned - entirely correct. It's the whole truth :wink: The difference may only be in some specific metaphoric contexts but generally they are the same.

Good duck? Seems like quite a paradox :twisted:

Sol - You Bastard :) you are trying to persuade us to eat Duck :) At first Kaczyński will arrest us for illegal duck-hunting (or poachering if you like :P), and then we will die for Bird's Flu :P

BTW: Some time ago, to my school came guy who were talking about Birds Flu. Except from sure things (like boiling birds in 70C degree) he were talking a lot of funny things (it wasn't on his mind :D)

He said (only one from many other phrases): You can get Birds Flu by drinking water from the same puddle that bird was drinking :lol:

Geez. People in this time don't really know what they are talking about :)

Congratulations, you wrote my nickname correctly! :) Ok, ok, I'm guilty, I'm KotOR fan, but it doesn't mean that I get words only from game, eg. Kate Bush's CD is called "The whole story" and last time in film I heard "I've never been offended so much in my entire life" (sorry if I don't remember very well).

I guess there isn't big diffrence in using these two words.

Ok... So we are from Poland and we use English quite good... So we are bound to do some translations, aren't we? :) I would like to start a new discussion here - did any of you do any interesting translation? Some very particular ones maybe? Well I can say that I did some in archeologic stomatology and fire suppresion devices in storage areas 8) And some more but those were the strangest of all.

Well, when you say 'translation', you mean english - polish, polish - english or both? :wink: I had to translate excerpts from Prus' "Doll" into enlish and now I can say that I've been licked by the flames of hell :P Horrid piece of work, to be honest. Although translation itself was an easy task, making it 'sound good' was not. :wink: No chances of doing that with my skills, not by a long shot.

Translations... I've done it once- I bought "Harry Potter and Half-Blood Prince" and my friends asked me to make it Polish, because they weren't able (or only don't want to exhaust themselfs :)) to read it in English. Well, it wasn't so bad, but Harry Potter is written in easy and modern language, not like "Doll". Of course, it's better to translate English to Polish, anyway I haven't got much problems with Rowling's book.

Horrid piece of work, to be honest. Although translation itself was an easy task, making it 'sound good' was not. :wink: No chances of doing that with my skills, not by a long shot.

Well, I can imagine. Translating literary texts is a hard job and translating them well is genious :wink: Especially for us into English, but even translating into Polish requires a lot of skill. You have to be consistent with the style, keep the humour and you just have write very well in Polish, as well.

Translations... I've done it once- I bought "Harry Potter and Half-Blood Prince" and my friends asked me to make it Polish, because they weren't able (or only don't want to exhaust themselfs Smile) to read it in English. Well, it wasn't so bad, but Harry Potter is written in easy and modern language, not like "Doll". Of course, it's better to translate English to Polish, anyway I haven't got much problems with Rowling's book.

Wiat a sec... Just how much of the book did you translate?

:shock: LOL :shock:

Game: Joint Operations . Delta Force BHD

LOL

Honey, it's not the time nor the place for such a fool posts, I'm suprised that admins didn't do anything about you.

Wiat a sec... Just how much of the book did you translate?

I translated the entire book :) and I think it was better than read it in our language, I always have a feeling that I'm wasting my time when I spend all the day reading Harry Potter. Friends said I did it quite well...

>>>Sorry for mistake, you are right Qbuś, I just ate "d" :) And I did it about one month, it was holidays, so I had a lot of time.

I translate the entire book :) and I think it was better than read it in our language, I always have a feeling that I'm wasting my time when I spend all the day reading Harry Potter. Friends said I did it quite well...

Ok... The grammar mistake in the beginning needs clarification. Have you translated or are you translating? If you have already finished I would like to ask how much time did it take you?

Ok... The grammar mistake in the beginning needs clarification. Have you translated or are you translating? If you have already finished I would like to ask how much time did it take you?

Qbuś, are you sure about the grammaticality of this clause, I mean "I would like to ask how much time did it take you?" I'm just asking because it sounds a little bit awkward for me... Something like "I would like to ask how much time it took you" would sound better for me, then again I'm not sure of anything right now...

Teneniel - even if the translation you made is poor, which I personally doubt, congratulations would be in order. For me it's inconceivable, because it takes a strong will and considerable skills to make a translation.

Translations? I tried playing with slogans or very short ads, but never tried with anything longer... The probability of failure exceeds the curiosity ;)

Greetings ;)

• Kto przegląda   0 użytkowników

• Brak zalogowanych użytkowników przeglądających tę stronę.

• Utwórz nowe...