Skocz do zawartości

Zarchiwizowany

Ten temat jest archiwizowany i nie można dodawać nowych odpowiedzi.

Gość Qn`ik

Only English :)

Polecane posty

I still consider the generic fantasy the most viable option, but now it's down to you :)

I would also opt for this mode of role playing.

Yesterday. I went to the kitchen.. in fact to the fridge :P I was sitting in kitchen, and sitting, and I saw a bottle of Cola. Nothing special. But, something happened. I had many things in my head, that I'm on someone's birthday and someone ask me if I want Cola. In my head I said "No, I dont' drink Cola". And I understood. I was thinking like Englishman ! Because when I said it, I thought "hmm. Don't drink Cola. But not now. Generally. Maybe I'm ill so I can't." These things was goin' around my head.

OK, OK. Slow down there a bit. My first reaction to this post was: "ocb?!" - try to order your thoughts in a more coherent manner. From what I tried to understand you probably meant thinking in English and not like an Englishman. Am I right? A stream of consciousness is a way of writing reserved for the more skilled writers, if you know what I mean.

To cut the story short - put more sense into what you're writing.

And as for the roleplaying, I agree with Rankin that doing it by narration in a generic fantasy setting would be the best option. Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with the Warhammer universe so I could hardly take part in the game.

But hey, there are a few alternatives: Forgotten Realms, Warcraft, LoTR.

How about these?

My point was, that we should not use any setting that requires specific knowledge. At least I wouldn't call any of these you mentioned "generic" :). Well, maybe except for Forgotten Realms, but it's more of a DnD thing with races. Generic DnD? That would be easy, I think everyone would know what an elf or an orc is. And let me stress once again, there will be no dice and no arbitrary decisions involved.

Oh, I'll just whip out a ruleset sketch and send it to someone responsible for the RP forum section (Qbuś?)

OK, OK. Slow down there a bit. My first reaction to this post was: "ocb?!" - try to order your thoughts in a more coherent manner. From what I tried to understand you probably meant thinking in English and not like an Englishman. Am I right? A stream of consciousness is a way of writing reserved for the more skilled writers, if you know what I mean.

Alright, alright. Ehh.. My english isn't so good yet, to understand everything what's written here. Level is to high for me. I think I'm one of the youngest user in "Only english" topic. You're propably much older, maybe u use english day a day. I've seen many hard words here, which I had to look for in dictionary. I have learned a lot :P

Never the less, I'll be back here :P Maybe in three years, when I finish high school. It will be perfect come back.

To the next time, Qbuś :P

My point was, that we should not use any setting that requires specific knowledge. At least I wouldn't call any of these you mentioned "generic" :).

I did get your point, and I didn't call any one of them "generic"either . :) I was just hoping that those three, being widely known in general, would be appealing to all of you. They're my favourites, that's why ;)

But the generic DnD/whatever setting is absolutely fine with me and for everyone else, I guess.

I think I'm one of the youngest user in "Only english" topic. You're propably much older, maybe u use english day a day.

Let's not exaggerate, I can do without a walking stick. :)

And a word of consolation - your English is streets ahead of most of my friends', and they're my age.

It's not very impressive, but you're not as bad as those friends of mine. Would you ask for the time by saying "what hours?"? :P

Just keep learning and don't worry about mistakes - we all make them, including natives. :)

Besides, one needn't be old to know a language well - it's all about dedication, hard work and talent. :)

EDIT:

It often happens that natives speak worse English than foreigners who learned it for a couple of years. It's like with Polish - you can meet people whose Polish is very bad.

Yeah, no surprise to me here. I even elaborated on this matter earlier on ;).

Oh, and one more thing: Rankin has posted the rules of the game, as well as an introduction to the world it is set in, in the RP section. I suggest you get acquianted with it as soon as possible so that the game can begin shortly.

Link: http://forum.cdaction.pl/index.php?showtop...mp;#entry723001

Gotta go now... it's time to invent a story for my character :).

I'm following that discussion and I must admit that I would also like to take part in role-playing in English. I'm pretty sure that it could be very interesting and even more exciting than other RPG on this forum. I also went through all those realms and I don't think I would be able to feel free in any of them besides D&D and that is not for sure. Maybe Star Wars or Warcraft universe? I think those two would be quite interesting. Both Warcraft and SW universes are big ones and I'm pretty sure that nice amount of people on this forum know a lot about both. Or better yet - the City. I know it's quite small after all, but, hey, being able to role-play a thief or a Hammerite in Garret's universe would also be an interesting experience, right?

mistakes - we all make them, including natives

It often happens that natives speak worse English than foreigners who learned it for a couple of years. It's like with Polish - you can meet people whose Polish is very bad.

Never the less, I'll be back here :P Maybe in three years, when I finish high school. It will be perfect come back.

You don't have to go nowhere. I just wanted to know what you meant in the previous post. It was written in a chaotic manner not in bad English. I would not understand in if I read it in Polish. Just try to make it a bit more logical ;)

Besides, one needn't be old to know a language well - it's all about dedication, hard work and talent. :)

Or a good teacher ;)

I started learning English when I was 5 or 6 (don't remember exactly) when my aunt gave me 5 volumes of ABC English. The books had tapes, cassettes, songs, Superkid and were great for a kid like me. Then we got cable and Sky One and later on Cartoon Network... The first one had shows on computer games so I watched them... I did not understand much but still it was fun watching. No I'm 24 and went through some courses in primary school, a class with some subjects in English in primary school, English philology at Adam Mickiewicz University in Poznań and now I work a worldwide translation company... So one could say my life is very much linked with English.

The work was not very hard, there was some dedication... That leaves talent. But who am I to judge?

Just a quick note to those still interested in roleplaying. I've made an initial post here. The character template and the ruleset aren't supposed to have any further changes, but the world itself is still a matter of discussion, as I would really want to make it what people want it to be.

Can someone check this text, and fill the rest gaps?

Nobody has ever succeed as Macbeth, and the reason is not far to seek. Instead

of growing as the play proceeds, the hero shrinks: complex and many-levelled

? begin with, he ends up as cornered thug, lacking even a death scene

with requirement to regain lost stature. Most Macbeths, mindful ? this,

let off their big guns as soon as ?, and have usually shot their bolt

when the time the dagger speech is out. The marvel of Sir Laurance Olivier's

reading is that it reverses this procedure, turns the play inside ?. and

makes it (for the first time I can remember) a thing of mounting, not waning

excitement. Last Tuesday Sir Laurance shook hands ? greatness, and within a

week ? so the performance will have ripened into a masterpiece: not of the

superficial, booming, have-a-bash kind, but the real thing, a structure of perfect

forethought and proportion, lit ? flashes of intuitive lightining.

He begins in a perilously low key, the reason ? which is soon revealed. This

Macbeth is paralysed with guilt before the curtain rises, having ? killed

Duncan time and ? inhis mind. Far from recoiling and popping his eyes, he

greets the air-drawn dagger with sad familiarity: it is a fixture in the crooked

furniture of his brain. Uxoriousness leads him to the act which unexpectedly

purges him from remorse. Now the portrait swells: seeking security, he is

seized with fits of desperate bewilderment as the prize is snatched out of

reach. There was true agony in 'I had else been perfect': Banquo's ghost was received

with horrific torment, as as if Macbeth should shriek 'I've been robbed', and the

phrase about the dead rising to 'push us from our stools' was accompanied with

a consulsive shoving gesture which few other actors would have risked.

Well, so... emm, hello one and all, Black Shadow here and it's my first post in this topic since I'm here :) I'm know English pretty well, but not awesome. I don't have problems with words/texts and translating them from English to Polish, but my pain in the [beep] :P is grammar side of this great language.

So hello all. I will try to ressurect this topic a little. ;)

oO Topic in which only english is acceptable. <screaming> xD I just found it out so don't be annoyed. I have to learn for my exams on tuesday... someone should burn that fu....eee... I mean lovely school.

I found some thing realy epic for RPG fans (and not only) when i was looking for funny movies on the net ^^

Check it out

http://www.urealms.com/episodes.html

First watch Classic Unforgotten Realms there wayyyyyy more funny than the new ones (dont take me wrong the newer ones are great to but the classic is the best)

poor_leno, no, these exams are not on english but all the subjects I do.

English? I'm sick of english xD I'm living in Ireland so I have to listen to that shitty language every day (xD) (I'm sorry of someone likes english, it's just my opinion about it. :P)

It's quite a lot indeed but in any case they are very easy to learn. Unlike german tenses where you have to remember all these freak word orders... I've been learning german for 11 years and I'm still making many mistakes. In comparison with this sick language, english seems to be nothing. ;]

German is easy...if you know articles and have good memory. I have started learing german since last year. At the beginning it was easy. Now I'm learing more and more words with articles and it's getting to harder and harder. English should be easy, because English has "simple" grammar. Although I sometimes make big mistakes that im shock later. I recommend a latin languge if someone likes learing foreign languages. It's similar to german, but you must only know endings of declinations and conjugations :D .

English grammar is simple? Are you kidding? XD look at all of these Past Simple, Past Continuous, Present Perfect, Future Simple etc.! It's terrible but I still love English ;) and I agree with your sentence about German xD it's a very interesting subject. And it's quite easy. You just have to learn and everything enters into your head :D

Yes, and my friend has Latin :) she says that it isn't difficult. But I will stay with German and English, I think that's enough for me :) but maybe in future I will learn another languages xD

PS This is my first post (?) [i don't know how to write this word ^^"] in this theme :D yes, yes. I'm very proud of this :)

Yes i think that english grammar is easier than german, latin and even polish grammar(for foreigners). What is difficult in english tenses? You should know only when we use a tense, how create it and know key-words which define a tense. Difficulty may be amount of tenses which you should know. In pracitce we use: Present Simple, Present Cont. Present Perfect, Past Simple, Past Cont. Past Perf, Future Simple, be going to and modal verbs. These tenses we use the most frequently. Why many people think that english is easier? Because english is everywhere: in games, in songs, in films etc.

Rule of prevalence? Yays.

Like I said, we - in Poland - speak one of the most flexible languages ever devised. Tenses? We need but three. Possessives? Who needs 'em? Four word construction just to denote order? Whatever for? Within a single word is often enough information and rules governing these are simple. Although it might seem that rules of ortography make life more difficult, I've seen enough ludicrous errors in English to know how easy it is in Polish where you always write what you hear and your biggest concern is the difference between ó and u.

You could tell that is no difference between u and ó, rz and ż, ą and on, ch and h etc. while you are reading posts some kind of people in this forum ;) . Polish is easy? We inflect almost everything, don't we? In german you have Nominativ, Genetiv, Dativ, Akkusativ? Only 4. In polish 7! In english? None? We inflect adjectives too in polish, like substantives.

Yes i think that english grammar is easier than german, latin and even polish grammar(for foreigners). What is difficult in english tenses? You should know only when we use a tense, how create it and know key-words which define a tense. Difficulty may be amount of tenses which you should know. In pracitce we use: Present Simple, Present Cont. Present Perfect, Past Simple, Past Cont. Past Perf, Future Simple, be going to and modal verbs. These tenses we use the most frequently. Why many people think that english is easier? Because english is everywhere: in games, in songs, in films etc.

You say that tenses are easy. But not for me :) I mean that I understand it and I know when we use it but the number of this tenses scares me xD and teachers makes an additional problems to understand it. :) Well. I prefer German grammar than English :) Although I use and speak English better than German xD And one more thing: English is really complicated when you must identify which tense was used to construct sentences.

Easier than english.

Nice joke. ;] You know... maybe for you it's easier but i think that if we ask people learning german and english at the same time what language do they prefer, most of them will probably choose the second one. :P After all you have to remember less grammatic stuff.

At the beginning it was easy.

Yes, beginnigs are always easy. But the more you get into it, the more complicated it becomes. Unfortunately... Only the chosen ones can handle it. :D But who cares, after all english is more useful. :P

I learn english for 2 years and german for 9 and I think I know english better than german ;)

I totally agree with opinion that English is easier and better language than German one. I learn German for second year now and I... don't remember a single thing... maybe some words, but grammar is total fail :P

• Kto przegląda   0 użytkowników

• Brak zalogowanych użytkowników przeglądających tę stronę.

• Utwórz nowe...