Skocz do zawartości

Zarchiwizowany

Ten temat jest archiwizowany i nie można dodawać nowych odpowiedzi.

Gość Qn`ik

Only English :)

Polecane posty

It's my first post in this topic. Sorry If i made off-topic buy I didn't have enough patience to read all 54 pages of this topic.

So about my English...I think it's not very good but it's not means very bad...I have some problems with English. First is listening...sometimes i can't understand what somebody said because he talk too fast or too indistinctly...I don't know how can i increase my listen skill. Next problem It's i'm very shy...I can't talk with sombody and look into his eyes. I stammer (jąkać się from ling.pl) and make mistakes. Becase of this problem i'm very scared before matura ;/ eh and last problem i don't know why but about 2 weeks after short english test by(?) words i remeber just few word from long list...

that's it...i want to apologize for all mistakes which i've made in this short text and i would be very glad if sombody will correct tham.

I don't see connection between making off-topic, and not reading earlier post's :)

But there's a way to solve your problems with language - In my case , I've watched english films without polish subtitles, and played games in english. Both of these things helped me very much, and I got 20 points on oral test and 95% in writing, both on basic level :)

But there's a way to solve your problems with language - In my case , I've watched english films without polish subtitles, and played games in english. Both of these things helped me very much, and I got 20 points on oral test and 95% in writing, both on basic level :)

Yeah, these two, plus reading in English, are great and cheap ways of improving your language skills. Speaking is a bit tougher - you simply have to talk quite a lot, so you will become more self-confident and fluent. And don't worry if while talking you miss a word - simply try to say it differently. You should also ask your teacher for more speaking activities.

As for remembering words - activities mentioned above will force you to learn new words. Use the dictionary - and not only when you don't know a word, but try also... reading it! Yeah, reading a dictionary may seem crazy to you, but it's also a great method of learning. And I mean good dictionaries, like Oxford, Cambridge etc. Internet ones, like Ling.pl are quick and convenient, but not the best ones for learning.

To sum up - you need to practice, practice and then practice a little bit more ;)

I agree with previous posts, and from myself I must add that you have to lern speaking(pronunciation). Tongue twisters can help you with this.

My fauvorite is Woodchuck:

How much wood would a woodchuck chuck, if a woodchuck could chuck wood?

Woodchuk could chuck all the wood he could if a woodchuck could chuck wood.

Try to say it as fast as you can without making mistakes. It takes me about four seconds.

I've got the same problem as Tryt - my english is very bad... The biggest problem I have with grammar, because I always forgot, for example, construction of present perfect or past perfect... And sometimes I don't know, what construction I should use. The last problem is my school. I had choise: 3 English and 2 German lessons(I hate German language) or 2 English and 3 French lessons... So I chase French. Now I must practise a lot, if I want pass matura exam, but... it's not hard, isn't it?:)

Its quite interesting, that people in countries like Finland, Sweden, Germany etc are using English language very well, and more proper than we are (Poles).

That means, our education system need change, because you can learn English only if you pay for lessons (you go on courses, or to private schools).

It's sad because it makes differences between us.

Yeah. I also heard that it is easier to learn spanish or italian than, for example, german. Some say that is possible to communicate in spanish after 1 year of learnng. So that could be useful :).

But sadly, it's hard to find a time to learn another language. This yaer I'm preparing for matura (maths and engilsh) so I'll focus on thgose sumbjects, but maybe next year... :)

I don't think so. Have you ever been in Italy? Try to speak with a waiter in English. I't impossible. They think, that their language is so beautiful, so why they should learn another language? If you travel to Italy you have to speak in our language!

So you think that depend on national mentality? Well, it's possible, but as long as country will not make chance for young people, they won't get satisfactory level of communication, in international arena.

But I'm optimistic, and we, Poles are different from Italians - we should develop in this section in nearly future.

Thx for all tips...I will use it, work hard and i wish i would pass this f***ing matura ;] BTW i heard it's better to choose basic speaking exam and advenced writing exam in matura...because speaking is more useless...it's not my opinion, i just heard that. What do you think about this?

Thx for all tips...I will use it, work hard and i wish i would pass this f***ing matura ;] BTW i heard it's better to choose basic speaking exam and advenced writing exam in matura...because speaking is more useless...it's not my opinion, i just heard that. What do you think about this?

Well they certainly won't emphasize speaking and they will rather concentrate on writing when you'll be trying to get on some university. However, the speaking will matter when you'll be applying for the job and your employer would like to know how good you are not only in writing but also in speaking with e.g. customers. Face the truth, dude, writing is important but you'll mainly use speaking in future. As my teacher used to say: "you are working on your own future so get your ass over here and do this task" ( Seriously, no shit about this quote xD)

I agree with that.

About the grammar - I don't know construction of past perfect, present perfect and rest of them. But I've got 4 from english :) I simply speak sentences as I think they should be.

I've also learned Germany and French, and I want to learn Spanish. I'm pretty sure, that from that three, french is worst.

I must say, that in schools we're learning some reduntant things, aren't we? IMO we could learn more practical stuff. I may - we're learning too much formal language. English lessons mostly have to prepare us to pass mature exam. I learn more "practical" things from movies and books (in english) than from class. I think that is why learners should read and watch movies in english.

I must say, that in schools we're learning some reduntant things, aren't we? IMO we could learn more practical stuff. I may - we're learning too much formal language. English lessons mostly have to prepare us to pass mature exam. I learn more "practical" things from movies and books (in english) than from class. I think that is why learners should read and watch movies in english.

Indeed, I've learned more usefully sentences even in on line games, chats, and English forums, than from school books.

Moreover, teacher's often says: 'Englishman won't understand you if you speak like that!' But I heard from my friend, who works in UK, that people there speak rather different from what we learn at school Smile

And that' true. My english teacher told me about kind of "experiment" that she had done being in England. She wanted to make her english friends to use the most complicated (for Poles at least) english tenses. And the Englishmen were doing everything to avoid using those tenses.

I must say, that in schools we're learning some reduntant things, aren't we?
I do not agree. You never know, what you will find usefull in your future
IMO we could learn more practical stuff.
Like what :?: I guess you think about speaking. That is funny, i have never had chance to prove my english, but writing. I am a programmer and trust me on that, writing and reading are as essential skills as speaking.
I may - we're learning too much formal language.
I may :?:

What is wrong with formal language :?: Is is easier to read.

English lessons mostly have to prepare us to pass mature exam.
That is why, you will not learn english in classroom.

And now something completely different. Today I had to translate word 'epilogowy/epilogiczny' and I found myself completely stunned. A subtle 'ocb' left my mouth as I tried to come up with something - to no effect. Creations such as 'epilogue-ish' or 'epilogue-esque' sound a bit cheesy, ain't 'em? Therefore: any help appreciated, and what the big deal with -ish and -esque endings, what are general rules about using them?

I would translate it as 'epilogic', or something like that, maybe 'epilogique' would be right? It's silly, but I haven't heard about that word in english. It reminds me 'compromitation' :lol:

Anyway, I was told to translate a song, "King's Cross", as a matter of fact. Could anyone take a look at my version, or show me his/her :?: I would be very grateful :)

And now something completely different. Today I had to translate word 'epilogowy/epilogiczny' and I found myself completely stunned. A subtle 'ocb' left my mouth as I tried to come up with something - to no effect. Creations such as 'epilogue-ish' or 'epilogue-esque' sound a bit cheesy, ain't 'em? Therefore: any help appreciated, and what the big deal with -ish and -esque endings, what are general rules about using them?

Hi! Personally, I don't believe there is such a word as epilogish or sth, although I wouldn't be surprised if i saw one somewhere. Anyway, try to say it in a different way. As they say, translations are like women - they are either beautiful of loyal;)

IMO we could learn more practical stuff.
Like what :?: I guess you think about speaking.

I think it's impossible for a Polish teacher to teach anybody speaking English well because it's just their second language. At first, their accent is usually terrible. But it's impossible to be changed and must be understood. The real problem is that our teachers make lots of terrible mistakes in pronouncing words. For example, my teachers always said "comfortable" or "vegetable" as if there was a table in it (you know what I mean - komfortejbl instead of kamftbl :D). It really pisses me off because they don't see any difference or even say that t h e i r version is correct. And we, students repeat this and make fools of ourselves when talking to a native speaker... :?

That's why I think that the only people to teach Polish students speaking should be the natives (yeah, I know it's impossible...). And what do you guys think?

[

It really pisses me off because they don't see any difference or even say that t h e i r version is correct.

There is no 'their' version. You just check the phonetic transcription and the problem is solved. I don't agree with the opinion that only natives should teach english. If a teacher really likes his/her job, they do their utmost to be better and better. I personally know Polish teachers of English who can't be distinguished from Brits when they speak.

It's hard work and long way of self-development to become one of them but it's possible. And don't be surprised that teachers are the way they are. The money they got for their work does not incourage to put so much effort into teaching, sadly ;(

Well... The issue how good can a non-native speaker get in the area of pronounciation is a bit controversial. Generaly s/he can never reach exactly the same quality but acquireing a near-native pronounciation is not impossible. Another important factor that needs to be taken into consideration is the pronounciation itself... As there are hundreds of them - the two main standards being thought are RP ( Received Pronouncation - British ) and General American. The problem is that both are artificial creations and native speakers basicly do not use them. If RP is used it is used by the Royal Family or TV presenters. Great Britain is very rich in accents and getting only native speakers would end up in everyone speaking some different accents. It may be easier for a good Polish speaker of English to learn proper RP than for i.e. a bloke from Manchester.

As it often happens - things depend of preferences and personal opinions.

• Kto przegląda   0 użytkowników

• Brak zalogowanych użytkowników przeglądających tę stronę.

• Utwórz nowe...